21) Popular movies about farming include Country (1984), The River (1984), Out of Africa (1985), Giant (1956), and The Big Country (1958).
22) There are around 2.2 million farms in the United States.
23) Approximately 97% of U.S. farms are operated by families, family partnerships, or family corporations.
24) Farm and ranch families comprise just 2% of the U.S. population.
25) Farmers today produce 262% more food with 2% fewer inputs (such as seeds, labor, fertilizers) than they did in 1950.
26) One in three farm acres is planted for export.
27) Seeds had to be scattered by hand until Jethro Tull’s seed drill (developed in 1701) made it possible to plant seeds in rows, which could then be easily hoed.n The seed drill allowed crops to be planted in neat rows.
29) U.S. dairy farmers receive less than $1.32 per gallon of milk they produce. The average retail price of milk $2.76. The average cow produces 7 gallons of milk a day, 2,100 pounds of milk a month, and 46,000 glasses of milk a year.There are 350 squirts in a gallon of milk.
30) Farming employs more than 24 million American workers (17% of the total workforce).